CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 13, 2012

Goodreads

You know that feeling when you go to the library but you don't have anything in particular you are looking for?  Never again!  I currently have 55 books on my "To Read" list.

Yesterday I was looking for a way to catalogue books that I wanted to read.  I knew that there were internet sites that were dedicated to this, so I started looking around.  I found Goodreads.com.  I really like that you can rate books you have read, add multiple "shelves"where you can add your own categories and receive recommendations from the computer based on your tastes.  They also have huge lists of books in categories- like best romantic or sci-fi, or books everyone should read at least once.  They are voted on by other members of the site, so you get thousands of people voting.
You could also use this site to keep up with your professional learning.
I've been using it for personal reasons- remember reading "The Book Whisper"?  I'm creating my mountain of books to read.... but they are in a list living on my computer.
I also like that it tells you how to get the book- you can check out WorldCat to see which libraries, bookstores, and e-books are available.
You can check out my Goodreads page here.  
This whole thing was inspired by a visit from my little sister, a bibliophile with very similar tastes to myself.  She came because we are STILL out of school- see more about that here.  She brought some books to read for herself.   I started reading Ender's Game, which I quickly fell in love with!  Amazing characters, future dystopia- what's not to love?!  (Nerd alert!)
Then I found out that Ender's Game is coming to theaters next year and it's going to have Harrison Ford in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  <3
It was fellow bloggers that introduced me to The Hunger Games long before the movies.
I know that my love reading carries over to the classroom.  I'm so excited to be teaching 3rd grade this year- chapter books!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some magic words