CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Audacity in the 1st grade classroom

Audacity is a free program that you can download to your computer.  It allows you to record and save audio files.  So, in the classroom, your students could record themselves reading and play it back.  This increases awareness of how they really sound and drastically improves fluency!

But to do this, you will need a few tools:
1. Computer
2. Free Audacity download
3. A Microphone

Let's talk about #3 for a minute.  How would you like to have a pretty decent quality Mic for $1?  Sounds too good to be true, right?  Nope!  Check this out:

Hey... wait a minute!  Those are SPEAKERS... not MICROPHONES!
......
...........
Are you ready for this?......
..........................................................
All speakers are essentially microphones.  When plugged into the input jack (The pink one!) on your computer, they will function as microphones.  You can snag a pair at the local $ store for just one buck.

Pretty cool, huh?  :)

Need some project ideas with Audacity?


  • Record running records and grade at home in your fuzzy slippers
  • Have "Mystery Readers" record themselves reading a book and then use that for a listening center.  Ta-daaa!  Free audiobooks.  Mystery readers can include school staff: Principal, VP, Secretary, Cafeteria Workers, other teachers and parent volunteers.  At the end of the story, they can reveal who they are.  Use a bell or chime when recording to cue the students that will be listening to turn the page.
  • Record each student reading during the fall, winter and spring to document progress.  Keep each file and save in a digital portfolio (more about that in a future post!)
  • Have each student read a Mother's day book and make all the Moms a keepsake CD
  • Create a weekly Podcast and add to your webpage
  • Have students do a school news report and play it over the PA system
What could YOU do with Audacity?

6 comments:

Madison

I did the Mother's Day CD this year. My kids loved it. And so did their moms.

Ms. Wold

Great idea! I can't wait to try it with my kinder kiddos!

Cindy

I like the idea of having the kids record their reading at various times of the year. THANKS!

Jen

Very cool!

Tessa

I can't wait to look into this! I have several old books on tapes and the tapes are wearing out. I can now re-record them onto the computer! Thanks for the tip!

Unknown

Madison- I meant to do that and it got left behind in the mad shuffle this year! I'm working on my master's degree at night, and things were CRAZY busy this year. Next year I definitely will! :)

Miss W- :) They will love it!

Cindy- I think it's a neat assessment piece too!

Jen- Thanks for stopping by!

tmarie- Get volunteers to help! You reminded me of "mystery readers" which I added to this post! :)

Post a Comment

Leave some magic words