CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Mother's Day cookbook and more student art projects!

Last year I had students write "MOM' and then cover it with fingerprints and a heart.  Next, use fancy scissors to cut it out.  Check out Kaboose for a more detailed description.

I used this poem:
My dirty little fingerprints I’ve left on every wall
And on the drawers and tabletops, I’ve really marked them all
But here are some that won’t rub off, I’m giving them to you
Because I’m thankful to have a mom that’s just like you!


This year I am going to try to record each child reading a Mother's day book on Audacity and burn it to a cd.


I also always have the mothers in for "Ladies Tea".  I call it this because I always have children with no mothers- this year I have two adorable students whose mothers are deceased.  It breaks my heart!


Here is Tagxedo, which is a new application where you can use words to create shapes.  Think wordle but in the form of hearts and doves and stars!  I am going to try to take the students down to the computer lab to create one describing their moms.  Here is my example using words from a blog:




A slideshow with pictures and music is a must- I'm inviting all the ladies into our classroom to eat lunch with us and stay for a few minutes afterwards for tea.  I'm also going to try to make a breakfast in bed kit to send home with each kiddo to give to their mom on Mother's Day.

You can download my template for the cookbook pages that the students fill out here:  I have my students create the recipe for what they believe is Mom's favorite food.  Their responses are hilarious!

Last year on the directions for how to cook the food, one sweet student put "You buy it at the store!"  Haha!  :) And his mother was our Room Mom!  It was priceless.  I also had responses like preheat the oven to 10 degrees or 5,000,000,000,000 degrees and cook for 5 minutes.  For the calories, I usually tell the students if it tastes good, it probably has a lot!  :)  We have a lesson on cooking to set them straight after this is all over with!


On the right is our laminated cookbooks with all the student recipes.  The left is the original artwork of each child, and the center is their fingerprint poem.

I think fresh flowers also add a nice touch.  Tip: our vases are Clorox wipe cans with the label stripped and a few bottles of glue placed inside as a weight!

Join up in some linky part fun!




8 comments:

Meredith

Such great ideas! Love the fingerprint poem and will use it with my Kinders. They will LOVE this project. Thanks.

Cindy

I love doing the cook books too! I see you tried the TAGXEDO! I can't wait to try it. I've been so busy checking out all the wonderful teacher blogs that I haven't had much time to play around with some of the toys! ;-) Thanks for the shout out to the Teacher's Lounge! ;-)

Miss Adams

Love your idea of having your students record themselves reading a book. What books do you use for mother's day recordings?

www.firstgradefinishline.blogspot.com

Sarah

What would you put in your breakfast in bed kit? :)

Unknown

Meredith: I hope you enjoy it! The moms love this project.

Cindy: Your blog is too cute! I like the potential for Tagxedo in the classroom.

Miss Adams- Honestly, it will be whatever I can find at our school or local public library. Another blogger was talking about a book called "Happy Happy Mother's Day" which looked really cute but it is out of print.

Sarah- I was thinking one of those pre-wrapped muffins (chocolate!) and a maybe a starbucks instant coffee packet. Check out the linky parties for detailed information from some of the other teachers! :)

Jill

I love these ideas, especially the Ladies' Tea and the cookbooks! I will have to hang on to these.

Right now, I'm covering a maternity leave for seventh/eighth grade and I made a Wordle when we studied the Bill of Rights and my students LOVED it and asked if they could make Wordles into shapes. I can't wait to show them the Tagxedo site tomorrow! Thanks! :)

Magnificent Multiagers!

Unknown

Such fabulous ideas! Thanks for linking up!
Maria
Kinder-Craze

Lisa Fiema

Love all of your great ideas! Definitely going to put some of these to use this year :)

Lisa

Stories from Room 114

Post a Comment

Leave some magic words